Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Alphas

I caught season one premier but missed the last episode of season one so I had catching up to do.
First off season one left me a bit flat. Watching the actors go through their roles was stiff and cumbersome, but I’ve noticed many good shows have the same problem. In its first season NCIS LA’s cast suffered the same disconnect from their characters. The show is rock solid now.

Watching the cast of Alphas in the first season was much the same, like a man in an ill fitting suit. The actors were still  figuring out their powers and how best to display  their character's and their powers in a believable manner.

Season two was much better. The cast is solid and seem comfortable in the personas’ of the alter egos. The story line for this seasons premier left me wishing I had viewed the season one closer. I was lost for a few minutes but caught up as the actors moved on set. The action well done.

Alphas is an ambitious series and owes a lot to X-Men. Thought it's heros' abilities are, to say the least, very off beat. Cameron is still struggling to control his abilities. I especially like Ryan Cartwright’s character, Gary Bell. He plays an autistic man who can see and hear elector-magnetic transmissions of any kind, radio, cell phones, television, or Internet. The ultimate hacker, a sort of virtual walking net book.

I’m not sure I’d want Nina's ability to ‘Push’ people into doing something I want, too easy to abuse and get someone killed.

They never indicated if the chip was removed from Gary’s neck, which begs the question will someone be able to manipulate him in the future. After the build up of the attraction between Cameron (Warren Christie) and Nina (Laura Mannell) I want to know why they’re ticked off at one another. How will the drugs given to Dr. Rosen (David Strathairn) will affect him, if at all. How is the team going to pull it together after the separation. I enjoy this show and look forward to the answers in future episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment