Saturday, February 23, 2013

Progress On Final Edit

I've printed off my 143, 936 word manuscript  The Adam Eradication for my final read-through. 2 or 3 chapter left to complete The Eve Beguilement only another 10K words. Then move on the From The Garden Cast already 35K + words

For you writers, a couple of quotes from Mark Twain on writing (English) One on Adverbs and one on Adjectives both note worthy.


"I am dead to adverbs; they cannot excite me. To misplace an adverb is a thing which I am able to do with frozen indifference; it can never give me a pang. ... There are subtleties which I cannot master at all,--they confuse me, they mean absolutely nothing to me,--and this adverb plague is one of them. ... Yes, there are things which we cannot learn, and there is no use in fretting about it. I cannot learn adverbs; and what is more I won't."
- "Reply to a Boston Girl," Atlantic Monthly, June 1880

"I notice that you use plain, simple language, short words and brief sentences. That is the way to write English - it is the modern way and the best way. Stick to it; don't let fluff and flowers and verbosity creep in. When you catch an adjective, kill it. No, I don't mean utterly, but kill most of them - then the rest will be valuable. They weaken when they are close together. They give strength when they are wide apart. An adjective habit, or a wordy, diffuse, flowery habit, once fastened upon a person, is as hard to get rid of as any other vice."
- Mark Twain in a Letter to D. W. Bowser, 3/20/1880

No comments:

Post a Comment