Monday, October 7, 2013

Four Types of Sentences

In the English language when people form sentences, they do one of four things. They,

1)  ask questions.
2) make requests.
3) make a statement.
4) exclaim a powerful feeling or emotion.

 
Because sentences convey statements, requests, strong emotion, and questions we can categorized them into  four different types:

1) Declarative.
2) Interrogative?
3) Imperative.
4) Exclamatory!


Declarative sentences form a statement;

 Tomorrow I'll go to the shore.
 Yesterday I left work early.
 I told her wear her blue formal gown.
 She didn't want to drink the soda I gave her.
 We walked along the shore together.


Interrogative sentences form a question;

 What do you think I should wear my black shoes or my white sneakers?
 What did the teacher say to you yesterday?
 Didn't you go to the movies yesterday?


Imperative sentences make a command or request;

 Get me some water.
 Leave that cat alone.
 Go to the store for me.
 Bring me some ice cream.


Some people assume an imperative sentences has no subject when they do, the subject of imperative sentences is always you. In these type of sentences, the person that is making the command or request is always asking you to do something. For this reason, the subject in an imperative sentence is called you (understood). All though the subject may not be visible in the sentence, it is understood that the subject is always you.

To get a clearer understanding of imperative sentences, see the ones that follow;

 (You) get me a glass a beer.
 (You) leave the man alone.
 (You) ride to the store for me.
 (You) Bring me pitched of ice tea.


Exclamatory sentences are the sentences that attempt to powerful feelings, or emotions;

 I'm leaving!
 I can't wait to graduate!
 I love her (him) so much!
 We beat the opposing team!
 I can't believe he did that, I'm so upset!


The best way to distinguish one sentence from the other is to memorize what each type of sentence does. Declarative sentences are sentences that make a statement. Interrogative sentences are sentences that ask question. Imperative sentences are  request and command sentences, or sentences that give orders.  And the exclamatory sentences show a strong feeling or emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment